Monday, August 11, 2008

Still thinking about the Amish

This morning, I had a small serving of eggs and bacon with two slices of toast - nothing special. But on one slice was homemade rhubarb jam (Hershberger family) and on the other, dandelion jelly (Yoder family). Both families are Amish and did business at the Saturday farmer's market.

As I was tasting the amazing flavors, I suddenly felt sad. I can't say that the Amish and I are aligned on our faith - strong Christian roots, but somewhere, we got diverged in the wood. However, I have to say that I'm a little envious of their life. I'm not sure I'd survive it, but it's really attractive. As a child of God, I am but a traveler in this world for a short time. And I fill that time with technology, commuting, eating great meals, exercising (as often as I find the time), reading, watching TV, and a few minutes a day with my family. WHAT IS THAT?! Is my salary really worth it? Will my children truly suffer long term if I don't make the salary I do now? Am I misdirecting my question or curiosities?

I don't know, but those Amish folks really got me thinking about my priorities and how I look at life. To not put myself in a position to care whether I have something that I don't need...to fully appreciate and be grateful for God, family, friends, food, shelter, and clothing. The rub to that is that God put us on this earth to bring the good news to the masses...kind of hard - but NOT IMPOSSIBLE...when you live the life of true, gut-wrenching simplicity.

No comments: