Sunday, July 6, 2008

I should be grateful...

Here I am, a thirty-something professional guy, in a position that most people would be thrilled to have. I've been invited (!) to investigate two different job opportunities - both in the same company in which I work currently - that would allow me to add value to employees' lives and do something really interesting every day.

And it's dragging me down. I hate leaving people in the lurch...and the timing for both positions could mean really throwing a wrench (albeit temporary) into the project timelines and resources. But that's not the kicker for me. I need a career that embodies service to others in tangible ways (doesn't have to be 100% tangible all the time) - something where I feel I'm really helping people in ways that are absolutely foundational to who they are and who they want to be. Right now, I don't feel my job gives me that. Others have argued that it does, but I'm not seeing it. I really can't see it! There's an indirect correlation there, but...I don't know...the flame has dwindled on that relationship.

PLEASE don't feel sorry for me. That's not what I'm looking for. Really, it's to put in writing the ridiculousness of my fretting over this situation, when I should really be grateful. And...I'll probably fret over it until a decision has been made. ;)

Peace.

No comments: